Food Recipes For Dinner Families Ideas Easy Meals

iklan 336x280 atas
336x280 tengah
300x600
These healthy chicken enchiladas are packed with flavor and nutritious ingredients! The homemade enchilada sauce is the star of this recipe.

I don’t know what it is but I love Mexican food. Maybe it’s the spice or just the overall flavor profile but I love the cuisine! I have a vegetarian enchilada bake but hadn’t shared a straight forward enchilada recipe… until now. I love this recipe and hope it becomes a staple with your families!

Two chicken enchiladas on a plate.

I think a lot of people would consider Mexican food unhealthy but the truth of the matter is, within every cuisine there are healthy options! Sure, you can order or make the heaviest, creamiest dish but you could also make some simple swaps to lower the calories and up the nutrition profile. These chicken enchiladas are the perfect example. I took the traditional recipe and upgraded a few key ingredients to make it a nutritious and delicious meal.

Chicken enchilada filling in a skillet.

Ingredients for Healthy Chicken Enchiladas

  • Whole wheat flour tortillas
  • Homemade red enchilada sauce – this is the star of the recipe in my opinion!
  • Shredded Chicken – I use my slow cooker shredded chicken recipe
  • Vegetables – corn, black beans, yellow onion, garlic and cilantro
  • Cheese – I use low-fat, shredded Mexican cheese
  • Spices – chili powder, cumin, salt
  • Toppings – scallions, cilantro and jalapeƱos
Two cheesy chicken enchiladas on a plate.

Prepping and Storing Enchiladas

There are a couple of different ways you can prep these enchiladas ahead of time. One big time saver is making the homemade enchilada sauce ahead of time! You can freeze it if you make it more than one week in advance, otherwise just store it in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to use. You can also prep the entire meal ahead of time and then bake it when you’re ready.
Baking casserole dish with cheesy chicken enchiladas topped with jalapeƱo.
To store, use an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to five days. I don’t think I would freeze the leftovers because the cheese gets a little wonky, but if that doesn’t bother you, you can absolutely try it!
Two chicken enchiladas on a plate topped with cheese and cilantro.
336x280

Post a Comment

0 Comments